Extinction Rebellion, London, April 2019
Extinction Rebellion is an international apolitical network using non-violent direct action to persuade governments to act on the Climate and Ecological Emergency. They have three demands:
01. Tell the truth
Government must tell the truth by declaring a climate and ecological emergency, working with other institutions to communicate the urgency for change.
02. Act Now
Government must act now to halt biodiversity loss and reduce greenhouse gas emissions to net zero by 2025.
03. Beyond Politics
Government must create and be led by the decisions of a Citizens' Assembly on climate and ecological justice. More.
During it's first week of action members of XR occupied four locations across the capital:
60. Inked - Waterloo Bridge
67. Hats Off, Oxford Circus
26. Do You Care About Your Child's Future?
29. Arrestee, Saturday, Waterloo Bridge
24. Arrestee, Saturday, Waterloo Bridge
01. Love the Planet, Waterloo Bridge
75. Rise, Resist, Organise: Or Be Part of the Problem, Marble Arch
02. The XR Boat, Oxford Circus
64. Be on the right side of History or be at the end of History
76. Arrest pre-amble at Oxford Circus
03. Ardha Purvottanasana, Yoga Class at Marble Arch.
53. Red - protestors, Waterloo Bridge
70. Gent on Waterloo Bridge
27. I Don't Hug Trees, I Believe Scientists, Waterloo Bridge
04. Red Umbrella with the XR symbol
05. Peaceful and passive arrest at Oxford Circus
06. XR symbol on a bag at Waterloo Bridge
62. Two cardboard origami rhinio heads, Waterloo Bridge
80. Extinction Rebellion, Marble Arch
46. Save Our Planet, Waterloo Bridge
07. Drummer at Oxford Circus
54. Khrishna devotee, Waterloo Bridge
49. Ladies at Marble Arch
82. Peaceful arrestee at Oxford Circus
39. No Alcohol or No Drugs please. Rebel responsibly.
63. Somebody made a Big Sign
40. Protesters peacefully blockading at Cavendish Place
71. Two older ladies on Waterloo Bridge
08. Construction of the Swag Hut at Marble Arch: stickers, posters, etc.
55. Props to this copper for letting me snap his ink, another Sikh gentleman, Waterloo Bridge
09. Act Now With Love (reverse of sign reads 'For Our Children's Future').
31. Peaceful arrestee at Waterloo Bridge
65. Flamenco guitarist performs on a the stage at Waterloo Bridge
44. Drummers on John Princes Street
68. "I can hear the birds for teh first time in 30 years" Marble Arch 20.4.19
77. Peaceful arrestee at Oxford Circus
81. Dorking is Rising Up!
10. Rebel Rebel... Rebel Rebel... Rebel chalked on to phone boxes at Marble Arch
56. Rebel for Life onm Waterloo Bridge, Saturday
11. Act Now, Tell the Truth, Oxford Circus.
41. Eco not Ego
25. Arrestee passively resisting at Waterloo Bridge
12. Yellow skateboard at Waterloo Bridge
69. 'Protect Life on Earth' banner
73. Peaceful arrestee at Oxford Circus
61. Climate Emergency signage on a bus stop at Waterloo Bridge
42. Blimey, Waterloo Bridge
28. Martin from Glastonbury
13. Modern Life at Oxford Circus and that symbol.
78. 'Tell the Truth' on the 'Pink Boat' at Oxford Circus
43. Passive arrestee at Waterloo Bridge
14. Didn't get the band's name but big up the fella from Burkina Fasa speaking, Parliament Square.
15. Peaceful arrest of citizen woman evolving a working defintion of equanimity. Oxford Circus.
47. FIRE, Marble Arch.
16. Tell the Truth writ on The Pink Boat and a fella with a fabulous voice. Soz, no name...
57. Stamford Street, SE1 blocked by two police vans - Waterloo
17. Chalk artwork on the bridge at Waterloo
50. There is no Planet B, Marble Arch.
18. It's that sign again. Big up the branding.
48. Meat = Heat
58. Urtema, Oxford Circus
79. Only Rebellion can stop the Extinction
37. Demonstrators at John Princes Street, just off of Oxford Circus
19. 'If you breathe air you should care'. My mates daughter had made it at school that morning.
20. Rebel the Truth, Oxford Circus
72. 'Save the Planet for Puppies'
21. Spare planet located at Waterloo Bridge. Phew, pressure's off folks.
59. Two players of chess, Parliament Square.
32. Protesters blockade Little Portland Street.
38. Police run in support of attempts to remove the 'Pink Boat' from Oxford Circus
51. Vegan Hero, Regent Street
22. Plant at Waterloo Bridge, an outlier of a Garden Bridge of trees and plants that didn't see £43m of public money disappear.
23. Modern life, the ubiquity of mobile telephony. Oxford Circus
33. Attempts to remove the 'Pink Boat' stymied by demonstrators on Great Portland Street
35. Having coralled the 'Pink Boat' protestors hold a Citizens Assembly to determine their 'farewell'
34. Roger Hallam speaks to protesters who have blockaded the 'Pink Boat' on Great Portland Street
45. Drummer, Waterloo Bridge
66. SORRY, but this is important
36. Small cart with sound system, Waterloo Bridge
52. It's five past twelve, stop hitting the snooze button, W1